Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Anatomy of What I Do





I really liked my baby monster doodle I did the other day, so I figured I'd take it a step or two further and do what I do at work for a lot of art and apply it to (gasp) some work I did on my own free time.  Using skills I've learned in a professional environment outside the workplace? Unheard of, I know.

So first I take it into Illustrator and ink it using various line weights and such, thus getting the black and white image at the top.  Once I'm good with how that turns out, I fiddle around with it and fill in the areas with drop-in color. Really, really easy. And that's normally where I stop, but this time I decided I want to give rendering a try, using some techniques I learned at Disney. This one's rough but I'm happy with it. It's a lot smoother than my normal Photoshop paintings, and I think the whole Disney rendered art feel comes through. 

So, yeah. That's pretty much what I've been doing for a year, except with trademarked characters I can't legally put on this webspace.  Lemme know what you think! :)

No comments: