Saturday, September 18, 2010

DAK Day: Slow Tortoise, Fast Gestures



I took a little break from work today and went to Animal Kingdom to do a little sketching. Not too much came out of it, but I did do a pretty decent sketch of a tortoise.



I also did some gestures at the Festival of the Lion King show. For those of you who don't know, gestures are very quick sketches done right on the spot. They normally range from a few seconds to 15 or 20 minutes, and should capture movement and not be too detailed. They were my favorite things in figure class in college; I'm a very sketchy drawer naturally so they're a lot of fun to do; and the quicker the better. I loved doing gestures while watching movies or shows, and dynamic action poses were the most fun. Cirque du Soleil marathons on Bravo were the best. I haven't done any since I graduated, so I was a little out of practice, but given that and the fact I did these in a dark theatre, I thought these turned out pretty good. If you haven't seen the Festival of the Lion King show, I highly recommend it. It's like a short Cirque du Soleil themed to the Lion King with awesome costumes. And the Tumble Monkeys are amazing. I wish I could have done more with them but they were so fast and did so many flips it was hard to keep up!

No comments: